6 replies to this topic

#1 Burkni

Burkni

Masters +

• Members
  • 6,770 posts
  • Interests:Athletics, cycling, cross-country course design

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:35 AM

I am giddy at the thought of this "new" race, which is actually a revamped and rebranded Giro del Lazio. It has plenty of climbing and takes in the major landmarks of Rome - I'd say the Fori Imperiali easily rival the Chammps Elysées as a spectacular backdrop for a cycling race.

The home page doesn't say anything about how much of the cobbles on the Via Appia Antica are used - there are stretches there that are hardly ridable on a mountain bike, let alone skinny tires. I will perform a bit of my own analysis (or just check out what the nerds on the CNews forum are saying) and post back.
In Vino veritas, 1998-2011.

#2 Burkni

Burkni

Masters +

• Members
  • 6,770 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:02 AM

So after a little mapping I find that the course has around 2000m of elevation gain, rather stacked in the middle third or so, which would in itself not be enough to deter the (strong) sprinters but the Appia has plenty of cobbles ... This thing has Cancellara written all over it.

#3 mapeifan

mapeifan

Soigneur

• Members
  • 707 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:20 PM

Right by the Colosseum. "Are you not entertained?"

Little known fact- only two men have won the the Giro del Lazio three times- Francesco Moser and ... wait for it... yes, Andrea Tafi!

Posted Image

Edited by mapeifan, 19 February 2013 - 07:29 PM.

IPB Image
Io Tifo Tafi !
Andrea Tafi Fan Site

#4 micomico

micomico

Soigneur

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:12 PM

Little known fact- only two men have won the the Giro del Lazio three times- Francesco Moser and ... wait for it... yes, Andrea Tafi!

Posted Image

Does someone tifo Tafi!

#5 Burkni

Burkni

Masters +

• Members
  • 6,770 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:12 AM

Sounds like a real race - did it used to traverse Via Appia and were the cobbles decisive? (Tafi's wins would certainly suggest so)

#6 Burkni

Burkni

Masters +

• Members
  • 6,770 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:29 PM

This simply has to be the cycling photo of the year ... A solo winner on the Fori Imperiali.

#7 micomico

micomico

Soigneur

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:03 PM

This simply has to be the cycling photo of the year ... A solo winner on the Fori Imperiali.

How did Pozzato not know? Got it about the radios, but the motorcycles were supposed to have the times.
Maybe they lost track in that dizzying roman traffic. Would take me more than an hour from one end of the city to the other at the end of work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users