5 replies to this topic

#1 Janna

Janna

Consultant

• Administrators
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:38 PM

Hello my wheeled friends,

It has been too long since I’ve given an update on Vaughn. And I have another subject to broach as well.

First, Vaughn. Five months out from his stroke he is walking well with a cane and is pretty strong on his right side (where the stroke “hit”). He can’t write very well yet, hasn’t tried typing, and his eyesight is giving him fits – reading is still too tough.

His communication is akin to being full steam in a sprint and then flatting. He has his line mapped perfectly. The first half of the sentence comes out clear and strong, and then, he gropes for a word. Often it does not come. He still pushes to grasp it, and when it finally won’t he usually laughs out loud and says “Ahhhh, F*%#k it!!”
Very occasionally he bursts into tears of frustration.

But in the past five months he has come from intensive care, where the doctors told his kids it was unlikely he would ever walk or talk again, to regular hospital care, to transitional care, to a heavy-duty, 8 hour a day, 7-day a week stroke rehab program, to convalescent care (where he would help his often gravely ill roommates and spend much of his days walking in the neighborhood), to assisted living. He has uniformly hated the food.

Then two weekends ago we discovered his heart was having a mechanical. But the team car was right there and he is now the proud owner of a pacemaker, a permanently embedded race radio that only his heart can hear (we promise no race regulations will be broken). He also requires a scary-sounding little surgery that may cause some improvement in his sight, so that is coming soon. But as of this week he has graduated to a much-less-assisted living, where his room is at the top of a pretty steep flight of stairs, he is now in charge of taking his meds and making his own food, with help (and he’s eaten two entire chickens in two days).

Our goal is that within the next couple of months he will be functioning fully on his own, in his own place. He wants to come back to the DP but that’s the finish of this mountain stage he’s on, and while he’s nearing the summit he still has some hard climbing ahead of him.

Which brings me to my other subject: fundraising.

I know that Vaughn traditionally runs a fundraising campaign to cover DP costs. I do not myself advocate charity as a business model. But there is loyalty.

The yearly DP server payment is due soon, and our trusted provider, Sleek Networks <http://www.sleek.net>, has reduced the DP yearly fee this year to show its support of Vaughn and the DP team in this challenging period, for which I would like to publicly thank them very much. There are other costs as well – I would like to pay for the forum for a full year instead of monthly (it’s like those drug tests for the podium – so annoying) so that you (yes, NBOL, I mean you) can enjoy the forum without interruption.

But more importantly, I would like to make sure the DP is here when Vaughn comes back.

If, over the past ten years, you would always see him logged into the forum, see his regular “chat now” messages, see the volume of articles posted on the DP, then you know the measure of his loyalty to the sport and to you, his fellow race fans.

I also know very well your level of loyalty: regularly reading the DP, impassioned posts in the forums, avid attendance of rider chats, and by your donations - of article submissions, kudos emails, photography, technical help, and yes, money.

But acknowledging all that you already do, would you help raise a few thousands so that we can all be here cheering when Vaughn flies across the line?

If you would, there is a PayPal link in this article: http://www.dailypelo...le.asp?pk=18929

Thank you for reading and best regards,

Site Goddess
(Janna Trevisanut)

#2 micomico

micomico

Soigneur

• Members
  • 607 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:08 PM

Janna, is there an email that I can contact you privately?
micomico

#3 Janna

Janna

Consultant

• Administrators
  • 39 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:41 AM

Hey micomico,

Check your forum messenger.

Best,
Janna

Janna, is there an email that I can contact you privately?
micomico

#4 walt

walt

Soigneur

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 05:36 PM

Hi Janna,

Just saw your message about Vaughn. I haven't been here in awhile. Please give him my best wishes.

- Walt

#5 LukeA

LukeA

Junior Mechanic

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:15 PM

Hi all,

I spoke with Vaughn a few days ago and as Janna states in this update - he continues to make strides of progress. When I spoke with him, he mentioned the forum and wanted me say hello to all of you. He also wanted me to ask how you all are doing.

He also expressed to me that he would like to write a message on the forum telling you all that he is okay, doing well, etc. (he didn't go into super deep detail on what he would write). Which I am sure all of you would like. Even I would be quite excited to see a post from him on the forum.
Luke Allingham

#6 LukeA

LukeA

Junior Mechanic

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 06:23 PM

I spoke with Vaughn this evening and spoke to him about the chat one Sunday, he said he may be a surprise guest, meaning that there is a good chance that he will be at the chance. We don't know when he will be returning to the DP, so if you can make Sunday at 12PM central time in the Daily Peloton public chat room - http://www.dailypeloton.com/chat.asp - I'd highly try to make it.
Luke Allingham

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users