Photo

Meeusen wins both races this weekend

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 VdB

VdB

• 5,504 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:37 AM

23-yr old Meeusen is generally considered to be the only rider in the peloton who can hold a candle to Nys when it comes to bike handling and technique, and this weekend he showed something else: racing instinct/fighting spirit! In Lille (GVA) and Hoogstraten (SP) the races were affected by the snowfall and freezing temps (-10 C during the day), and as so often it resulted in a strange combination of lots of crashes and fast racing (because the ground is so hard and fast to ride on). So in both races people had a hard time riding away from each other.

Both times, Meeusen made a sneaky but brilliant manoeuver towards the end and won the race. I put the last round of the Lille race below (see the link), great stuff with Meeusen and Nys trying to pass by others by riding into the snow paths at times. :helmet:

http://www.sporza.be...alink/1.1212236

In Hoogstraten, there was a steep little hill towards the end of the lap that Meeusen kept losing time on, because every time he tried to run up it he would slip away. Probably wrong shoes. So, in the last lap, he made massive move where he passed Nys and Pauwels by, took the little hill first, still slipped but instead of losing time effectively blocked Nys and Pauwels. :lol: Great stuff. I hope to find those images too soon!

One thing that always strikes me about these conditions is how easy the riders make it look. From minor personal experience, I can tell you that it's madness to go through that parcours the way they do! It's almost impossible to stay upright on that surface at those speeds, on the bike or by foot.
War. War never changes. The end of the world occurred pretty much as we had predicted: Too many humans, not enough space or resources to go around. The details are trivial and pointless, the reasons, as always, purely human ones.

#2 Burkni

Burkni

Masters +

• Members
  • 6,753 posts
  • Interests:Athletics, cycling, cross-country course design

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:51 AM

That is one nifty move by young Meeusen :helmet:

I have enough trouble staying upright on the recent vast spreads of ice even with my fat, studded tyres (illegal in CX)
In Vino veritas, 1998-2011.

#3 VdB

VdB

• 5,504 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:51 AM

I found the last lap of the SP race in Hoogstraten

http://superprestige...2-laatste-ronde

Like I said in my previous post, you can see him pass Nys and Pauwels by with a gutsy manoeuver, only to get first to that little hill that he keps slipping on every lap. But this time he was blocking the guys behind him. :lol: That moment starts a little after 3:20 in.
War. War never changes. The end of the world occurred pretty much as we had predicted: Too many humans, not enough space or resources to go around. The details are trivial and pointless, the reasons, as always, purely human ones.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users