• Please log in to reply
279 replies to this topic

#261 Strategy

Strategy

Elite

• Members
  • 4,668 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:20 AM

Agreed about Kreuziger, bontempi. I suspected as much when he went to Saxo - he's simply one of those riders who doesn't really have the mentality to be a captain. His work during the Tour has been super-impressive.

Froome has to be one of the tactically dumbest riders to win the Tour in recent memory. Again today, he launches a totally pointless attack and cracks. It's rare that you can say about the TdF winner that he would have easily won with 2 minutes more if he had just been a little more tactically astute. I really don't get it.

Edited by Strategy, 20 July 2013 - 07:20 AM.

#262 Strategy

Strategy

Elite

• Members
  • 4,668 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:23 AM

Nice ride by Navarro. Secures 9th place - super impressive of him in his first Tour riding for himself.

#263 The Rake

The Rake

Cat-1

• Members
  • 3,173 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Rugby, Horse Racing, Guitars

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:24 AM

Interesting how many times Kreuzinger has been dropped and then has managed to get back to Contador and pace him up the mountain.  I don't think it's just a question of Contador falling back to Kreuzinger, has looked to me like Kreuzinger has upped his pace when he's heard that Contador is in trouble.  I reckon he has a serious motivation problem which is why he's doing so well only now that he's working as a lieutenant rather than as a team leader.  If he was a leader on another team I reckon he would have just kept on drifting backwards each time he got dropped.

Like Kloeden?
La madre dell'idiota e sempre in cinta

#264 The Rake

The Rake

Cat-1

• Members
  • 3,173 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Rugby, Horse Racing, Guitars

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:30 AM

Froome has to be one of the tactically dumbest riders to win the Tour in recent memory. Again today, he launches a totally pointless attack and cracks. It's rare that you can say about the TdF winner that he would have easily won with 2 minutes more if he had just been a little more tactically astute. I really don't get it.

Wasn't it another Tour winner, Sastre, who once said he was about to crack so attacked anyway?

Five minutes or seven minutes won't make any difference to Froome at this stage
La madre dell'idiota e sempre in cinta

#265 smug

smug

Elite

• Members
  • 4,104 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, horse racing, politics, and coffee.

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:13 AM

Agreed about Kreuziger, bontempi. I suspected as much when he went to Saxo - he's simply one of those riders who doesn't really have the mentality to be a captain. His work during the Tour has been super-impressive.

froome does some strange stuff.  often his attacks put only porte in trouble.  he seemed to either want to win badly today, or hurt contador by helping quintana and rodriguez.  i assume he'd be more careful in a closer race.

Edited by smug, 20 July 2013 - 09:57 AM.

'How can you diagnose me with a compulsive disorder and then tell me I have any control over whether or not I come here?'--Jack Nicholson, "As Good As It Gets"

#266 bontempi

bontempi

Team Mechanic

• Members
  • 429 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, running, computing, doom metal.

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:15 AM

A week ago Froome looked invincible and it appeared he'd easily win a number of GTs over the next two or three years.  His seated high cadence attacks were scary.  But he definately tired in the third week and his attacks started to look more cartoonish than scary.  I suppose Froome timed his form for the first week and Rodriguez/Quintana timed their form for the third week, which ended up paying dividends.  Contador seemed to time his form for the fith week.  It looked like we were entering the Froome era but now it's starting to look more like we're entering the Quintana era.

#267 Leafcake

Leafcake

Cat-5

• Members
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:55 AM

Indeed, agreed on Kreuziger, Bontempi.

While Rodriguez appeared likely to take the 3rd podium spot, didn't expect Contador to ride as poorly as he did on such a short stage.

During this last week Movistar appeared to get stronger and Saxo appeared to be weakening. Good on Saxo to get the team GC as they contributed greatly to the TdF racing.

Yeah, that was really strange. In contrast Quintana had been listening (?) to the smart men in his ears (Arrieta?) and kept his cool. Quintana just hugely impressive.  

froome does some strange stuff.  often his attacks puts porte in trouble.  he seemed to either want to win badly today, or hurt contador by helping quintana and rodriguez.  i assume he'd be more careful in a closer race.

Indeed, in a closer race he'd have to be much smarter (race wise).

Impressive ride also by Talansky who moved himself up into the top 10. Bakelants continuing his strong riding in this Tour.

Not sure who i'd give it to, but hope Rolland does not get the super combatif. The way he pushed Anton should have seen his Col des Prés (?) mountain points annulled, at the very least.

Edited by Leafcake, 20 July 2013 - 08:56 AM.

"But it's not elves exactly"
- R.Frost

#268 Leafcake

Leafcake

Cat-5

• Members
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:16 AM

I drove the ambulance up and down, just couldn't pick a hairpin :unsure:

:helmet: Thank you for your kind services.

Contador gave an additional, and quite curious reason for not being aggressive on the downhill. “I didn’t want to attack because, watching on TV, there are people who love me and get nervous when I attack on a descent," he said, although it was delivered with a smile. (velonation)

- R.Frost

#269 Leafcake

Leafcake

Cat-5

• Members
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 11:40 AM

BPoNRFACEAARm7S.jpg

los papas de Nairo que imagen ..
https://twitter.com/...6431105/photo/1

Edited by Leafcake, 20 July 2013 - 11:59 AM.

- R.Frost

#270 Burkni

Burkni

Masters +

• Members
  • 6,770 posts
  • Interests:Athletics, cycling, cross-country course design

Posted 20 July 2013 - 12:02 PM

Interesting how many times Kreuzinger has been dropped and then has managed to get back to Contador and pace him up the mountain.  I don't think it's just a question of Contador falling back to Kreuzinger, has looked to me like Kreuzinger has upped his pace when he's heard that Contador is in trouble.  I reckon he has a serious motivation problem which is why he's doing so well only now that he's working as a lieutenant rather than as a team leader.  If he was a leader on another team I reckon he would have just kept on drifting backwards each time he got dropped.

+1
In Vino veritas, 1998-2011.

#271 smug

smug

Elite

• Members
  • 4,104 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, horse racing, politics, and coffee.

Posted 21 July 2013 - 04:03 AM

BPoNRFACEAARm7S.jpg

los papas de Nairo que imagen ..
https://twitter.com/...6431105/photo/1

awesome

'How can you diagnose me with a compulsive disorder and then tell me I have any control over whether or not I come here?'--Jack Nicholson, "As Good As It Gets"

#272 bontempi

bontempi

Team Mechanic

• Members
  • 429 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, running, computing, doom metal.

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:44 AM

Good old Flecha, you can always rely on him to attack when there's no chance of winning :)  One of my favourite riders nonetheless.

#273 Burkni

Burkni

Masters +

• Members
  • 6,770 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:56 AM

Poor Liuwe Westra just can't catch a break ... He retired with 40-50km left to Paris, apparently out of illness :(

When the news of his abandon came out, but before the reason was known, the Danish commentators hilariously theorized that he was saving himself for the Tour of Denmark :lol:

#274 mapeifan

mapeifan

Soigneur

• Members
  • 707 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:47 AM

Congrats to Froome and Sky. Last three days or so showed some chinks in Froome's armor, which should encourage those who will challenge next year.  And sorry, but I can't think of a Tour winner in history who looks more awkward on a bike than Froome, his position is just all elbows and bowed head.

Contador a lesser version of his former Tour self. Not too long ago, it was Contador's relentess multiple jumps that no one could answer.

Shame to see Evans fading away.

Nice ride by Kreuziger, Had stopped seeing him as a contender for anything of note.

Although I feel for Valverde after his wheel issue, it really put all the Movistar cards on the table for Quintana which was a good thing. What a talent.

Sagan was a runaway winner of the points jersey, but he was almost anonymous.

Cavendish will be asking himself some serious questions.

How long will Porte be happy to watch others win?

What happened to all the French up-and-comers?

Fantastic Tour route for the 100th.  Chapeau to ASO.

And I saw some of the worst wheel/bike changes in this race. Sometimes it was truly amateur hour.

Note to Prudhomme- go out and get a proper car sponsor for the Tour.  How could anyone want to sit in the back of Skoda for 3 weeks?

Crowds were great, but the lead moto cops have got to do a better job discouraging the idiots from interfering and let's put a quick end to the the recent colored smoke flare trend. Remember when Belli got thrown off the Giro in 2001 for punching Simoni's nephew, who was allegedly verbally abusing him.  We saw plenty of riders swinging at fans in this years race, Froome included. What's it going to take to get the fans to respect the race and riders.

Great 100th Tour, glad I went to see it!

IPB Image
Io Tifo Tafi !
Andrea Tafi Fan Site

#275 shag

shag

Cat-2

• Members
  • 2,737 posts
  • Interests:Heavy metal, thrash metal, death metal, metalcore. And beer.

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:17 AM

froome does some strange stuff.  often his attacks put only porte in trouble.  he seemed to either want to win badly today, or hurt contador by helping quintana and rodriguez.  i assume he'd be more careful in a closer race.

I don't think Froome has much natural tactical ability; he is not a cool customer and often looks in a state of panic-induced confusion.  On the radio incessantly.  He has to rely on being able to rip everyone's legs off.  Whereas some riders can eeke out wins against stronger riders through smart riding, I don't think the same is true of Froome.  One of the handful of reasons I am not a big fan.

Edited by shag, 22 July 2013 - 06:18 AM.

108 presente

#276 shag

shag

Cat-2

• Members
  • 2,737 posts
  • Interests:Heavy metal, thrash metal, death metal, metalcore. And beer.

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:30 AM

Congrats to Froome and Sky. Last three days or so showed some chinks in Froome's armor, which should encourage those who will challenge next year.  And sorry, but I can't think of a Tour winner in history who looks more awkward on a bike than Froome, his position is just all elbows and bowed head.

Contador a lesser version of his former Tour self. Not too long ago, it was Contador's relentess multiple jumps that no one could answer.

Shame to see Evans fading away.

Nice ride by Kreuziger, Had stopped seeing him as a contender for anything of note.

Although I feel for Valverde after his wheel issue, it really put all the Movistar cards on the table for Quintana which was a good thing. What a talent.

Sagan was a runaway winner of the points jersey, but he was almost anonymous.

Cavendish will be asking himself some serious questions.

How long will Porte be happy to watch others win?

What happened to all the French up-and-comers?

Fantastic Tour route for the 100th.  Chapeau to ASO.

And I saw some of the worst wheel/bike changes in this race. Sometimes it was truly amateur hour.

Note to Prudhomme- go out and get a proper car sponsor for the Tour.  How could anyone want to sit in the back of Skoda for 3 weeks?

Crowds were great, but the lead moto cops have got to do a better job discouraging the idiots from interfering and let's put a quick end to the the recent colored smoke flare trend. Remember when Belli got thrown off the Giro in 2001 for punching Simoni's nephew, who was allegedly verbally abusing him.  We saw plenty of riders swinging at fans in this years race, Froome included. What's it going to take to get the fans to respect the race and riders.

Great 100th Tour, glad I went to see it!

Good summary ... for me Quintana was the story of the Tour.  Hard to have too much confidence about anything in cycling, but this kid looks like the real deal in every way.  What a pleasure to watch him climb (unlike Froome ... watching him makes me want to scratch my eyes out ... seems impossible that anything that looks so bad could make a bike go so fast).

I couldn't be more strongly in agreement regarding the crowds.  You expect one or two but I am amazed that literally dozens of individuals feel the need to act like unvarnished morons.  Would be nice if the riders were empowered to carry and deploy pepper spray ... but yeah, I can see the drawbacks.

108 presente

#277 mapeifan

mapeifan

Soigneur

• Members
  • 707 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:55 AM

I don't think Froome has much natural tactical ability; he is not a cool customer and often looks in a state of panic-induced confusion.  On the radio incessantly.  He has to rely on being able to rip everyone's legs off.  Whereas some riders can eeke out wins against stronger riders through smart riding, I don't think the same is true of Froome.  One of the handful of reasons I am not a big fan.

At first I thought it was because he was inexperienced, but he has ridden 7 GTs and turned professional in 2007. He rode the Tour for the first time in 2008.  So much obvious reliance on earpieces and power readings. Whatever works for you I guess.

IPB Image
Io Tifo Tafi !
Andrea Tafi Fan Site

#278 Leafcake

Leafcake

Cat-5

• Members
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:08 AM

It is always a wonder when nothing more serious happens. Frightening. Thought it a good step when before the Ventoux stage ASO asked several riders to approach the fans via twitter. Social media is just one angle which could be put to use to a greater extent in order to increase the fans respect for the race and the riders in a positive way.

I don't think Froome has much natural tactical ability; he is not a cool customer and often looks in a state of panic-induced confusion.  On the radio incessantly. 

So too, yesterday, just for drinking a glass of champagne. You get the feeling that all has to be calculated and go up the chain of command. Hardly any instinctive behaviour, no street smart. All that calculating must take out a lot of the fun and put on a lot of stress. Perhaps the Sky environment is not ideal in that sense.

Yeah, think it was a very good Tour, especially given that the favourate for the overall was well predicted. The course still allowed for some great racing and so much was still up for grabs until the penultimate stage. The stage to Saint-Amand-Montrond were the peloton was broken up was probably the one I enjoyed most.

- R.Frost

#279 mapeifan

mapeifan

Soigneur

• Members
  • 707 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:43 AM

I think it was Hinault who said he wanted to wear a jersey with tacks in it with the points of the tack sticking out, so that when fans slapped him on the back (he hated getting touched) they would feel some pain!

IPB Image
Io Tifo Tafi !
Andrea Tafi Fan Site

#280 Burkni

Burkni

Masters +

• Members
  • 6,770 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:53 AM

I think it was Hinault who said he wanted to wear a jersey with tacks in it with the points of the tack sticking out, so that when fans slapped him on the back (he hated getting touched) they would feel some pain!

:icon_up:
Don't mess with the Badger ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users