2 replies to this topic

#1 Burkni

Burkni

Masters +

• Members
  • 6,700 posts
  • Interests:Athletics, cycling, cross-country course design

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:21 PM

Silly of us when we don't have a thread until the race is over ... particularly when it is an instant classic like the White Roads.

My conclusions from today:
  • Cancellara's form is more or less where it should be
  • Astana needs some lessons on how to play the Numbers game
  • Moser is a fantastic rider and will only get better
  • Anyone hoping to contest the same races as Sagan should go back to the drawing board ... or at least be very, very afraid.

In Vino veritas, 1998-2011.

#2 Mark

Mark

Assistant Mechanic

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:03 PM

Silly of us when we don't have a thread until the race is over ... particularly when it is an instant classic like the White Roads.

My conclusions from today:

• Cancellara's form is more or less where it should be
  • Astana needs some lessons on how to play the Numbers game
  • Moser is a fantastic rider and will only get better
  • Anyone hoping to contest the same races as Sagan should go back to the drawing board ... or at least be very, very afraid.

Great points that I agree with completely.

I'd also add:

Cancellara looks like he could have another spring ahead of being completely isolated. I don't think much of his team, but weren't they supposed to get him some help? Boonen has strong help with Chavanel and Terpstra, Gilbert has Evans and Van Avermaet (and to a lesser degree Hushovd and Phinney, as they're certainly co-leaders at P-R), and we've seen just how strong Sagan and Moser are together. Cancellara looks nearly as strong as ever, but the rest of the peloton have him figured out: stay with him when he goes (regardless of how much it hurts!) and he's beatable. He desperately needs help.

#3 Burkni

Burkni

Masters +

• Members
  • 6,700 posts
  • Interests:Athletics, cycling, cross-country course design

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:26 PM

Great points that I agree with completely.

I'd also add:

Cancellara looks like he could have another spring ahead of being completely isolated. I don't think much of his team, but weren't they supposed to get him some help? Boonen has strong help with Chavanel and Terpstra, Gilbert has Evans and Van Avermaet (and to a lesser degree Hushovd and Phinney, as they're certainly co-leaders at P-R), and we've seen just how strong Sagan and Moser are together. Cancellara looks nearly as strong as ever, but the rest of the peloton have him figured out: stay with him when he goes (regardless of how much it hurts!) and he's beatable. He desperately needs help.

Cancellara will rue the years he spent chasing big bucks and little Schlecks.
In Vino veritas, 1998-2011.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users