Photo

Hein baby! and Och

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DPCandND

DPCandND

• 1,070 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:33 PM

As we watch this train wreck in slow motion, I keep wondering....How is it that Jim Ochowicz keeps his nose clean?
Well, as it turns out, the erstwhile BMC big banana is probably going to be in hot water fast....
Thom Weisel hired him, and Och brings over Hein's accounts, and Hein baby! makes a ton of dough because
he, er, ah, has an 'excellent' investment manager (That's right! That's the ticket!)
No conflict there, nope, not at all....

Anybody else know about this 'deal'?

#2 Burkni

Burkni

Masters +

• Members
  • 6,700 posts
  • Interests:Athletics, cycling, cross-country course design

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:37 AM

Hi Cowboy - Long time no see, hope you've been getting those miles in!

Not familiar with this particular deal but Och is trending on Twitter this week within the cycling community under the tag #OchThinksAPropo ... the most interesting piece to surface under here is this one.

Actually, you've been around - do you know Les Earnest?
In Vino veritas, 1998-2011.

#3 DPCandND

DPCandND

• 1,070 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:35 AM

Hey Burkni, How is it?!!!
Yes, the miles get in...riding a fixed gear a lot...an hour ride feels like two, four hours feels like, well
like I'm old.
And yes, I know Les Earnest, although I haven't spoken to him in a long time. He is truly one
of the good guys in cycling....an ex UCI commissaire, from when that meant something.
Thanks for the lead on the Och thing...I will read that next!

Funny thing happened a couple of years ago...I was talking to an ex 7-Eleven mechanic, and
he made a very odd statement about Och, saying, "There's always something in it for Och..."
that implication was that he always got a cut.... I just don't know if anything was ever 'there',
but now it appears that there is some dirty laundry.

#4 DPCandND

DPCandND

• 1,070 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:32 PM

Burkni.... great set of posts by Les Earnest...he was in the middle of all that crap...the Northern Cal rider he
is alluding to is Harvey Nitz, who had a bad Olympics directly attributable to the Eddy B./Ed Burke Ramada Inn
transfusion clinic!
Let me tell you a little bit about the 'sink test' I was involved in, in the 83 Coors Classic, after the penultimate stage (Morgul Bismarck road stage). We KNEW one of our guys (he was a random doping control selection) was going to test positive, because he was really sick and needed a prescription for a terrible cold and fever....unfortunately, the prescription contained ephedrine (just like Grewal a year later!). But, lo and behold!....no positive ever came through. That's when I KNEW they never tested the samples....

US cycling came of age between '80 and '87, but it was soooooo dirty.

#5 mapeifan

mapeifan

Soigneur

• Members
  • 698 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:49 PM

Gotta hand it to old Les, he has been railing against the weasly politics of the governing body and those in power for more years than I can count.
IPB Image
Io Tifo Tafi !
Andrea Tafi Fan Site

#6 Burkni

Burkni

Masters +

• Members
  • 6,700 posts
  • Interests:Athletics, cycling, cross-country course design

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:16 AM

Gotta hand it to old Les, he has been railing against the weasly politics of the governing body and those in power for more years than I can count.

I have known about his existance for a grand 3 days but he is easily my new hero in cycling.

Can't think of anyone within the sport who comes across more credible, certanly no one in Europe.
In Vino veritas, 1998-2011.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users